Apulia Grove invites you to experience the fun of soap making by creating your own vegan castille soap.
If you have always wanted to try soap making, but were intimidated by the chemistry of the process, then this is definitely the workshop for you.
Suitable for participants aged 12+ (adult supervision required for U/18s), this workshop covers:
- how to create your own soap recipe,
- different oils and saponification agents and how they affect the soap making process,
- the difference between hot process and cold process soap making,
- tools and equipment for making soap, including WHS considerations, and
- where to source high quality essential oils for scented soaps.
We’ll get the soap making underway in the morning before having a chat about some of the theory topics and then breaking for an early lunch. The practical demonstration and hands on learning will continue in the afternoon. Participants will be making both bar and liquid soap, using hot and cold soap making processes, however due to the need to cure the bar soap, you won’t be taking home the soap you’ve made, we’ll get that back to you at a future date. Instead, participants will get to take home 12 bars of cured soap that’s ready to use. You will also get to take home a 500mL container of liquid castille soap.
Please note: While the castille soap from the workshop can be used immediately, if you make soap at home after completing the workshop, you will need to allow the soap to cure before use. It takes anywhere from 1-3 months to correctly cure castille soap. This time frame depends on the environmental conditions and available air flow.
Maximum learner engagement is maintained by keeping the total class size small, so make sure you book early! Please ensure you wear closed-toe shoes, long sleeved tops and long pants; but gloves, eye protection and tools will be supplied. If you have safety glasses and/or a lab coat with which you would like to become better acquainted, feel free to bring them along.
Please BYO lunch and mugs/water bottle.
* A 10% enrolment discount is available to holders of a Government-issued concession card. Please contact us to enquire about concession enrolments before booking online.
Terms and conditions for ticket sales:
- Ticket holders will be invited to select a workshop date based upon their availability to attend. All workshops will run from 10am – 3pm.
- Ticket price is for admission of one workshop participant.
- Participants must be aged 12+
- All participants under 18 MUST be accompanied by a ticket holding adult due to Workplace Health and Safety reasons.
- Due to Workplace Health and Safety reasons, all participants must wear long sleeved tops, long pants and closed toe shoes to participate in the workshop. Safety glasses and gloves will be provided. Failure to wear appropriate clothing will mean ticket holder cannot participate in the workshop, only observe the proceedings.
- Ticket holders must arrive at their selected time for orientation. Due to Workplace Health and Safety reasons, if you miss orientation, you will not be permitted to participate in the soap making workshop. However, you will be able to observe the process.
- Refunds are not available for those who miss orientation or aren’t wearing appropriate clothing when they arrive.
- Refunds must be requested in writing. Full refunds will be available up to 7 days before the selected soap making workshop begins. Requests made 2-6 days before the selected workshop begins will have 50% of the ticket price refunded. No refunds will be considered less than 48 hours before the selected workshop begins.
- You won’t take home the soap you make on the day because it needs to cure, but you will leave the workshop with 12 bars of unscented castille soap and a 500mL container of liquid soap.