Join Ceilidh Meo, Soil Steward and Grove Manager at Apulia Grove Olives, to learn about olive tree growth and modern pruning techniques.
If you are a new to olive tree pruning, then this is definitely the workshop for you. Olive trees respond differently to every other type of fruit tree you might have pruned in the past. Come along to learn specific tips and techniques for pruning olives for maximum productivity of your grove.
Suitable for small scale growers aged 12+ (adult supervision required for U/18s), this workshop covers:
- anatomy and growth habits of olives,
- why and when to prune,
- tools and equipment for pruning, including WHS considerations,
- hand pruning styles and which to select for your grove,
- olive tree pruning techniques to maximise production, and
- how to recognise problems, pests and diseases of olive growth and manage them using pruning techniques.
We’ll cover the theory of pruning in the morning before breaking for an early lunch. The practical demonstration and hands on learning will occur in the afternoon.
Maximum learner engagement is maintained by keeping the total class size small, so make sure you book early! Please ensure you wear closed-toe shoes (steel caps preferred); but work gloves, eye/head/hearing protection and tools will be supplied. If you have gloves and secateurs with which you would like to become better acquainted, feel free to bring them along.
Please BYO lunch and mugs/water bottle.
* A 10% enrolment discount is available to holders of a Government-issued concession card. Please contact us to enquire about concession enrolments before booking online.